In 2021, we implemented three automated electric shuttle (robot bus) remote operating pilots in Kongsberg, Tallinn and Gdansk. The aim was to study the future remote fleet operating. Sohjoa Last Mile project was coordinated by Metropolia University of Applied Sciences, with consortium of seven project partners and support form Interreg Baltic Sea Region, with total budget of 898 203,00 €. Project lasts from October 2020 to March 2022.
- Finland: Metropolia University of Applied Sciences & Forum Virium Helsinki
- Estonia: City of Tallinn & Tallinn University of Technology
- Latvia: Zemgale Planning Region
- Norway: Kongsberg Municipality
- Poland: City of Gdansk
Key Messages – developing autonomous mobility requires actions now
Based on the Sohjoa Last Mile project consortium’s collaborative work, we carved out the current possibilities and limitations of developing the autonomous mobility in public transport sector in the Baltic Sea region. The key messages related to the topic are compiled into a video and powerpoint presentation, find links below:
- Key Messages video “Sohjoa Last Mile: developing autonomous mobility requires regulatory action now” on YouTube
- Key Messages presentation slides on Google Drive
The focus in the near future should be on regulatory changes. Regarding the EU-level legal framework and national regulations on deployment and development of shared autonomous public transport services are required urgently.
Sohjoa Baltic publications
The Roadmap to Automated Electric Shuttles in Public Transport publication series provides collectively written key lessons learned during the project Sohjoa Baltic (2017-2020). Find each of the five volume in this series below:
- The Legal Framework (PDF), publisher: IKEM.de
- What is the current legal status of automated driving in different European countries of the Baltic Sea Region? Sohjoa Baltic presents the relevant legal information for implementation and provides policy recommendations for the future.
- Technology and safety requirements, publisher: Metropolia University of Applied Sciences
- What are the current relevant technological and safety challenges to be taken into consideration in the implementation of automated shuttle buses?
- Sohjoa Baltic provides information from Germany, Denmark, Poland, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Estonia, and Latvia.
- Starting Your Own Pilot (PDF), publisher Metropolia UAS
- How to deploy an automated vehicle pilot in a city?
- Sohjoa Baltic provides a practical toolkit with recommendations based on the practical experiences from automated shuttle bus pilots in Norway, Poland, Finland, Estonia, Latvia and Denmark.
- Procurement Challenges, publisher: Metropolia UAS
- What are the barriers and enablers of autonomous vehicle procurement in public transportation?
- The experiences of Sohjoa Baltic’s automated shuttle bus pilots in Estonia, Denmark, Finland, Latvia, Norway and Poland describe the complexity.
- Sohjoa Baltic User experience and impact on public transport, publisher: Metropolia UAS
- How and why should cities prepare to implement automated public transport?
- What is the role of automated shuttle buses?
- Sohjoa Baltic provides views based on experiences from pilots in Norway, Poland, Finland and Estonia.
- Project Kickoff, 28th January (online)
- Sohjoa Last Mile Roundtable Session, 30th March (online)
- Pilot phase 1 in Kongsberg, Norway, summer 2021
- Pilot in Tallinn, Estonia started 1st April – find video on Youtube.
- Sohjoa Last Mile Masterclass 20th May (online) – find recording on Youtube.
- Tallinn pilot results presented at MARA roundtable session, 8th September (online)
- ARTS workshop, Zemgale region, Latvia
- ARTS workshop, Helsinki, Finland
- Pilot phase 2 in Kongsberg, Norway, fall 2021
- Pilot in Gdansk, Poland, fall 2021
- Final meeting, 29th November (online), Kongsberg
Project partners’ output reports are on Google Drive folder. Please find a specific partner report with direct link to document, as listed below:
- Tallinn pilot output report 2021
- Gdansk pilot output report 2021
- Kongsberg pilot output report 2021
- Key messages, slide presentation Forum Virium Helsinki 2021
- Results compiled in one blog post: Accelerating evolution of mobility in the Baltic Sea Region – Sohjoa Last Mile’s robot bus pilot experiences, 2021
- Summary on pilots: Accelerating evolution of mobility in the Baltic Sea Region – Sohjoa Last Mile’s robot bus pilot experiences on Metropolia’s Tikissä blog, 2022
Additional reports will be listed here.